A Commitment to German Language
Preserving the German language in the United States is one of the most important goals of DANK. German is one of the major languages in the world and is the most spoken first language in the European Union. While German is the 3rd most popular foreign language taught in American schools, it is slowly being eliminated from many schools, leaving Spanish and French as the only available choices.
DANK National Educational Fund
Our Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) entity of DANK that is set up to keep the German culture and language taught in the Unites States for many years to come. All donations made to the fund are tax deductible.
- To sponsor German language studies and promote the teaching of German culture, arts, music and sciences.
- To prepare and distribute useful and approved material related to the German language and culture to all schools teaching German subjects.
- To encourage and sponsor the formation of German study and language clubs in high schools and colleges.
- To establish awards and scholarship programs in high schools and colleges.
- To provide for commemorative awards honoring German contributors to American achievements in art, literature, music, science and also in community and national affairs.
- To sponsor and promote German American heritage studies and research.
- To receive contributions and distribute them to deserving organizations as described in Section 501 (c)(3). The primary source of funds has been from direct donations.
DANK German Language Schools
More than 30 years ago, DANK began operating German language schools to students of all ages with the intention to preserve the German language in the United States, and foster more deeply the German culture and customs.
The number of schools fluctuate based on interest from our members and communities around our various chapters. All classes are offered concurrently with the public school year, giving the students the summer off. Go to chapter pages to find more information about our DANK schools: DANK Chicago North, DANK Northern Suburbs and DANK Chicago South.